Honestly, I really did not think Josiah would EVER want to sit on the potty or that we would ever have even one successful pee pee in the potty. He has not been interested, does not mind in the slightest if there is poop in his diaper for long periods of time, and doesn't think it's cool that his other friends use the potty. We have not really done any intensive potty training either. What little I have tried has been a disaster. With Josiah if his mind isn't made up to do something, then he will not, and I mean he WILL NOT do it. It is not worth the fight, especially since I didn't want to traumatize him about the potty. So we haven't pushed it too much, just talk about it and offer every so often. He kindly will just say "No mommy, I don't want to pee pee on the potty, I can't do it. Thanks." When he says 'Thanks' it always makes me chuckle.
BUT.... in the last week he has shown interest, REAL interest. Tonight in particular he was playing and all of a sudden said, "Hey mommy, I need to pee pee on the potty, right now!" I said, Ok! Lets go! He took off his diaper, stood on the stool and peed like a man, standing up! He was SO proud! When he was peeing he said, "WHOA, look at that, I peeing mommy! Wooow!" He got an M&M and a sticker after he did it, but he really didn't seem to care about that, he was more excited that he did it, himself. He then peed 2 more times of his own accord before bed.
Justin and I were and still are completely shocked. Wow. I think he has turned a corner and the end of buying size 6 diapers is out the door in the near future.... it's the pooping in the potty that just might take a little longer.
Praise the Lord!! I have been praying that God would help Josiah with the ability to know when he has to go to the bathroom, to not be afraid of the potty, and for me to be patient with him, even though I am so sick of changing his 3 year old diaper. I believe that God cares about the small things and this week He has helped and answered my prayer. The Bible says to give thanks to Him in all things, and I do. Thank you my sweet Lord for this simple answer to my simple prayer about peeing in the potty.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; and give thanks in all circumstances..."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
This is such great news and we are so proud of Josiah!! The poo poo part will come soon too!!
ReplyDeleteThat's SUPER!!! We are struggling with the potty also! And I KNOW he cares about the little things in our toddler's lives. He has answered TOO many prayers to count about the little things for us! Way to go Josiah!
ReplyDelete