In the last month and a half as our church has been making preparations in the space we are so graciously able to lease at the mall, I have heard this said too many times...
"We are so excited about our new church."
"Your church is in the mall?"
"The new church is coming along so nicely with the work being done."
Ect...Ect...
Notice that the reference to the word "church" is about the place, not the people. This bugs me.
The church is not the building, or the location, or the hotel conference room, or the house where you meet, it is God's people who are the church.
"The holiest moment of the church service is the moment when God's people- strengthened by preaching and sacrament - go out the door in the world to be the church. We don't go to church, we are the church." - Canon Ernest Southcott
And what is the purpose of the church? To be the body of Christ, to love, to be His hands, His feet, His mouth, and to go into all the world and share/do/live out the Good and Wonderful news of the love of Christ. And we are to share this with believers and unbelievers alike.
This is our Great Commission- "And Jesus came and spoke to them {the disciples}, saying. 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey all things I have commanded you. And I am with you always, even to the end of the age.'" Matthew 28:18-20
I love the part where Jesus says, 'And I am with you always....'
Go, be the church, and may His banner of Love be your guide as you go into the world.
amen
ReplyDelete