Tabs

Monday, September 3, 2012

Gratitude

Remember a few weeks ago when I posted about starting a seasonal job giving flu shots? About a week after wrote about that, something wild happened.

Back in April, I applied for an R.N. job at a small pediatric clinic. They were looking for someone to work 8-12 hours a week. While I drove over to turn in my resume to apply, I prayed and asked God to do with it what He wanted and knew best. I didn't really want to work weekly, but I had resolved that He had a perfect plan. A little while later, I received a call that they had filled the position and would keep my resume on file for the future.

The future came 2 weeks ago. She called me and said they were looking for another nurse to fill 8-12 hours a week. She asked if I'd be interested in coming in for an interview. I told her I had another job already lined up and I'd be starting the following week. I wasn't interested. She kept pushing, and for no reason at all, I just blurted out that I would go in for an interview 3 days later. The interview was on Monday. Tuesday evening she called to tell me they wanted to hire me. I was a ball of nerves trying to figure out the right decision. Working a boring seasonal job or a permanent job? What did God want me to do?

For 2 days, praying, talking with Justin and another wise friend. Seeking an answer, wishing God would write 'Yes' or 'No' very clearly on my wall so I would have no doubts! Then I remembered the talk He and I had as I drove to the clinic in April. As I said, "Lord, my life if yours, I want to follow you and if this is what you would have me do, I will do it!"

My answer was yes. I took the job and started this past Monday. (I'll be working Monday afternoons and all day Tuesdays while Justin watches the kids) I couldn't sleep the night before I was so nervous. I haven't really worked using my nursing knowledge in 4 1/2 years. I was sure I had forgotten everything I learned.

My first day and a half working were wonderful. I loved every minute of it. A clinic is much slower paced than the hospital setting and it was a welcomed change for sure! The other nurse, physician and clinic staff are very nice and kind to each other.  And by God's wonderful grace, He has helped me to remember things I was sure I had forgotten. By the end of Tuesday I was giving shots, assisting in procedures, answering phones, putting info into the computers, taking patients back to rooms, and troubleshooting problems. I felt almost energized at the end of the day, using my brain in ways that had not been used in years. I honestly loved it.

And they have a room that they built for a mom who's pumping milk. It's just perfect.

Leah did great while I was away. Justin said she acted as though she didn't know I was gone. She wouldn't take a bottle, but he finally got her to drink her milk from a sippy cup...and she likes it cold, not warm. ha! Knowing she is ok without me, gives me so much peace while I am gone! Justin is a great daddy. It is special that the kids now have their own alone time with dad to make memories with each other.

On the way home from work on Monday I just couldn't help but cry a little, not sad tears, but tears of gratitude to my Father. I just couldn't help but be so thankful to Him for literally laying this job in my lap, and so suddenly and such perfect timing. And He knew I would love it. His loving-kindness overwhelms my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, I LOVE them!