It seems that I blinked and my little boy grew up. Wasn't it just yesterday that we brought him home from the hospital? How does time do that? How does it go so fast?
We've been talking about kindergarten since the end of preschool and all summer long. Josiah has never been that excited about the idea of kindergarten. I've been praying for the Lord to put a peace in his heart. Josiah does not like change or new situations and kindergarten is waaay out of his comfort zone.
This first week of school was merely like a trial-run week. The kindergarteners came to school on staggered days for their first day so there would be a smaller number of kids in each class so as to not be as overwhelming to the kids. Friday was the first day his entire class was there together. On Tuesday he starts going every day...all day!
On his first day, it was an emotionally charged morning as we got ready. I had prepared myself for this to happen because of his demeanor about school the night before. I sat in bed with him and he told me he was scared and didn't want to be gone all day and he just wanted to stay home and play. We prayed and he hugged me tight. It took him a long time to fall asleep that night...and me as well! That morning he didn't want to get dressed, eat breakfast, put shoes on, or fix his hair. Everything was a battle. And he obviously didn't want to take a picture.
We arrived to school a little early so he could get his bearings and see if he recognized any kids. He hung on me the entire time, asking if he could just go home. He was really nervous and scared. I even had butterflies for him!!
When the bell rang they are supposed to line up on their class line and wait for the teachers to come out and get them. (For safety reasons, parents aren't allowed to walk into the class with them. I was bummed about that.)
I asked for one more picture, but he just said, "I'm too sad Mom, I can't smile."
Rip my heart out!
But then he saw a boy from his preschool class!
Finally, a smile!! It's amazing what having a friend and a familiar face alongside a scary, new situation can do. I said a quick thank you to the Lord for putting his friend in his class! What a blessing!
Then that bittersweet moment happened as I watched my firstborn walk into the school... without me. So big. So brave.
I promptly ran to the car where I burst into tears and sobbed for a good 10 minutes.
We didn't hear much about his day. He is very sketchy on details.
Me: What was one thing you did at school today?
Josiah: I don't know.
Me: What was your favorite part of your day?
Josiah: I don't know.
Me: Did you color.
Josiah: No.
...and so on and so on...
He will occasionally spill some details at random times. He thought his teacher was really cool because she read them a book about spiderman. And that's about all I know.
Friday went better getting ready, but he was wide-eyed and scared looking when we got to the school again. He kept asking me if I could just teach him school at home. Umm...no. But today, as he was walking inside, he turned back to look at me and gave me a big smile!
After school he told me a few things:
1. He got to sit next to his best friend Emily at lunch and they only talked to each other.
2. His teacher was going over the ABC's and he said since he knew them already he didn't need to listen to that and he didn't sing the ABC song with her. He said he didn't need to be there because he would already know everything. Therefore, he didn't need to go back to school until AFTER he turns 6.
3. He is "starving" at school because they don't give him any food.
Next week will be much different!






Aww! Such sad pictures! I love the happy ones! He's so funny. Poor kid- send him to a school that feeds him!
ReplyDeleteAww! Such sad pictures! I love the happy ones! He's so funny. Poor kid- send him to a school that feeds him!
ReplyDeleteI could hardly bear to look at the sad faces and red eyes but enjoyed Josiah's delight at seeing a friend!
ReplyDeleteTotally teared up reading this! Not ready for my little men to grow up. I'm sure as the days go by Josiah will begin to enjoy school, and all of the new friends he makes!
ReplyDelete