Tabs

Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Garden...well...sort of...

This spring I had the brilliant idea of planting a garden in the small flower bed in our backyard by the house. It was full of weeds and I though that something needed to be done with it. Justin told me, "This garden is your baby, I'm not helping at all!" I said, "Ok, I don't need your help!" (Famous last words from the woman without a green thumb).  So, I pulled the weeds, tilled the soil with a hoe (that's A LOT of work), mixed in composte with a shovel, and then it was time to plant. I planted squash, tomatoes, onions, okra, purple hull peas, green beans, and a bell pepper plant. I had great plans and great intentions on being able to harvest all of these wonderful veggies. Well, look at these tomato plants...they looked like they were doing good....had a tomato growing and everything    and then a few days later...this is what they looked like  sooo sad! All 6 of my tomato plants eventually looked like this! 
 Thankfully, my squash plants are producing. But I planted them too close together so they're not doing as well as they could be. I didn't realize that they get massively big. 
 I have two strawberry plants in a pot and this is the only strawberry they have produced! :(   My purple hull pea plants are doing great! I killed my lettuce plant. I went to water it one morning and the leaves had all been eaten away. It has been fun trying to keep my garden alive. I have learned so much from this experience! It is MUCH harder than I thought to have and keep up with a garden.  I also have a basil plant that is growing wildly! I am freezing and salt persevering the leaves so I can have them in the winter. My parsley plant is also flourishing too. It is fun to go pick stuff from your backyard and use it for dinner. Living the country life isn't so bad. :) 

1 comment:

  1. so i want to plant some things - like basil...i may need your help! i am horrible at this stuff! but i too would love to just go to the backyard for some herbs or fresh veggies!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, I LOVE them!