First you have to bring the milk just up to a boil. When it was heating it smelled soo good because I had the vanilla bean in it.

Then you let it cool, add the starter yogurt, and put it in jars. You then wrap the jars in several towels and let sit in a warm place for 12-15 hours. I was amazed and shocked that after 12 hours it had set up like yogurt!! Then you put it in the fridge to stop the yogurting process.
The next morning we ate it with breakfast and it was rather tasty. It was not as tart as the store bought stuff, but it was good. I also had some fresh strawberries that were about to go bad so I put them in my food processor to puree them up, then warmed them on the stove with a little sugar. I also did the same with some frozen organic peaches I had. That way I can just add whatever topping I want.
Here is the price of it:
Organic Whole Milk- $4.45/gal (used a half gallon)
Vanilla Bean- .75
Powdered Milk- not sure how much I paid for it
Starter yogurt- .50 (next time I will just use some of my yogurt that I already made)
Homemade Total price- $3.47 for 64 oz of yogurt
Store bought yogurt price- $3.50-$3.99 for 32 oz of organic yogurt (yikes!)
So I am saving 50% by making my own. Pretty good I think! And now I won't have to run to the store just to buy yogurt which I have been known to do. :)
You are so smart and thrifty, too!
ReplyDeleteLet's see. Things I have learned from Jennifer: how to make my own detergent and cleaning products, how to make my own butter and buttermilk, too, and now, how to make my own yogurt. Oh! I cannot forget the website you gave me:
www.hillbillyhousewife.com
This just goes to show: You CAN teach an old dog (me) new tricks.
Thank you and God bless you!
Love & Hugs,
Kathleen
You are quite the savy housewife! I need to learn a few things from you!
ReplyDeleteWe find out what the baby is tommorrow!!!!!Yeah!!!! we will comment and let you know....do you think skilm milk could be substituted or would that not work ? Lesley gets on to me for stuff like that...."THATS NOT WHAT THE DIRECTIONS SAY!!!!WHOLE MILK !!JOHN!!!SEE RIGHT HERE IT SAYS ....WHOLE MILK!!!!"but i had to ask anyway...he he he.....
ReplyDelete