Josiah turned 5 this month!
Really? He's five, I don't want to believe it, but it's really happening. No longer a baby or toddler. He's a real, live little kid, who dresses, showers, brushes his teeth, takes his plate to the sink, says please and thank you, and buckles his seat belt all by himself, like a grown-up little man!
This past year he's started asking more questions about anything and everything. He will ask why people we know don't have cars or why black people are black or why he has to change his underwear every day. He is curious and inquisitive and will NOT stop asking questions until he is satisfied with the answer. Many times he doesn't like my answers and will make up his own reasonings.
He is starting to ask more questions about God and Jesus and heaven. I can tell his mind is trying to understand and piece together all of these things he is learning and hearing about God.
He loves to talk. He loves to make funny faces. He loves to make any noise with his mouth. He loves to pick on his brother and loves to try to make Leah laugh. He does not like to play by himself. He needs constant entertainment (this has not changed since he was born!!). He can eat as much as Justin some days. He can still throw really big fits, but thankfully they are not as often. He is 58 pounds and when he throws a fit I feel like I am wrestling a bear into a cage when he's supposed to go to his room.
He loves anything chocolate or any ice cream! He loves orange juice and pasta and apples and cereal. He loves to watch movies and eat popcorn. He likes to take showers but doesn't like the water in his eyes. He is super sensitive to pain, any injury, big or small, leads to large amounts of writhing in pain and crying. He had a planter's wart frozen off recently and it took 3 of us to hold him down and the doctor had such trouble keeping his foot still that he nearly shot himself in the eye with the liquid nitrogen spray!!!
He is a great helper when he wants to be. He LOVES preschool and adores his 2 teachers. He listens to everything they say and is doing so well. He enjoys making new friends and learning. He is on his way to learning how to read sight words! I am so proud of him! He is riding his bike without training wheels and goes toooo fast. He is a backseat driver and knows how to get all around town. He still loves playing with his cars and trains and building blocks. He can't wait to grow up and go to work and be like Daddy. We also had this conversation recently:
This past year he's started asking more questions about anything and everything. He will ask why people we know don't have cars or why black people are black or why he has to change his underwear every day. He is curious and inquisitive and will NOT stop asking questions until he is satisfied with the answer. Many times he doesn't like my answers and will make up his own reasonings.
He is starting to ask more questions about God and Jesus and heaven. I can tell his mind is trying to understand and piece together all of these things he is learning and hearing about God.
He loves to talk. He loves to make funny faces. He loves to make any noise with his mouth. He loves to pick on his brother and loves to try to make Leah laugh. He does not like to play by himself. He needs constant entertainment (this has not changed since he was born!!). He can eat as much as Justin some days. He can still throw really big fits, but thankfully they are not as often. He is 58 pounds and when he throws a fit I feel like I am wrestling a bear into a cage when he's supposed to go to his room.
He loves anything chocolate or any ice cream! He loves orange juice and pasta and apples and cereal. He loves to watch movies and eat popcorn. He likes to take showers but doesn't like the water in his eyes. He is super sensitive to pain, any injury, big or small, leads to large amounts of writhing in pain and crying. He had a planter's wart frozen off recently and it took 3 of us to hold him down and the doctor had such trouble keeping his foot still that he nearly shot himself in the eye with the liquid nitrogen spray!!!
He is a great helper when he wants to be. He LOVES preschool and adores his 2 teachers. He listens to everything they say and is doing so well. He enjoys making new friends and learning. He is on his way to learning how to read sight words! I am so proud of him! He is riding his bike without training wheels and goes toooo fast. He is a backseat driver and knows how to get all around town. He still loves playing with his cars and trains and building blocks. He can't wait to grow up and go to work and be like Daddy. We also had this conversation recently:
Josiah: When I get big like daddy, I'm going to get married!
Me: Who are you going to marry? It has to be a nice girl who loves Jesus.
Josiah: I'm going to marry you, of course!
Me: Oh really! What about daddy, I married him first?
Josiah: He can go marry another mommy lady, cause you will be my girl. ♥
Flashback to when he was 6 months old!!!!
I remember the day so clearly.
He was a baby who was full of life and energy, he never wanted to miss anything...therefore he never slept. He laughed and giggled, and kept me running. He has not changed one bit! (except for the sleeping part... thank goodness he sleeps now!)At 18 months old he was living in a foreign new land that had snow.
I remember this day so clearly too. He was not so sure about the cold, the jackets, hats, boots, or snow.
He was born chubby and stayed that way. He's almost 2 years old in this picture.
And this post-nap wild hair look has not changed either.
Wasn't he so cute with his thunder thighs and red hair!
I love looking back at his little pictures, it seems that time has gone by in an instant!
We just had a family party for him and since I had been sick we didn't get to do all of the fun things I had planned and he had a hard, emotional day, filled with a lot of crying. (his eyes are puffy in all of the pictures!) And the cake fell apart! oops!
Leah: "Oh when oh when will I get to eat cake and ice cream! It's so unfair!"
Paul is sipping his orange soda and enjoying it slowly while watching Josiah opening gifts.
Josiah: "What? We have to read these cards first???"
Presents came several times that week! The day after his birthday he opened a fun box from his Memo!
During my 10 second shower one morning, I hear Josiah come in and wash his hands for a long time. I look out and he has green and brown all over his face.
Me: What are you doing? What is on your face and hands?
Josiah: A bug pooped on me, so I'm washing it off.
Me: Really, a bug. Are you telling the truth?
Josiah: Yeah it was a huge grasshopper that pooped all over my mouth. (He's saying this
with a completely serious face!)
Me: Come over here, let me smell your breath.
Me: Are you sure you are telling me the truth because I smell a lot of chocolate.
Josiah: The grasshopper's poop is like chocolate, didn't you know what mom?
Me: You can sit right there on the floor until you can tell me the truth. (I had to turn my head around not to laugh, he was so serious! He finally admitted to getting into candy he got for his birthday.)
This is the way to my 5 year old's heart...take silly pictures. Lots of them. Make yourself look as silly as possible. The crazier the better.
He will think you are the most awesome person ever. :)
Happy Birthday to our sweet, vibrant, loud, hilarious, strong, kind, and loving firstborn.
You are a treasure. A wonderful gift from our great God.

























Hahaha, what a cute, crazy, boy! Happy Birthday Josiah...
ReplyDelete