The garden is in full swing now!
It is exciting to watch the plants finally growing since the nights are warmer now.
This year we planted:
10 tomato plants- Early girl's, Roma's & Mortgage Lifters
Garlic
Green beans
Onions- 160 of them! They are in the middle of the garden
Green onions
Corn
Sweet peas
Broccoli
Cabbage
Leeks
Carrots- most died while we were in Colorado. Going to replant in late August & see if I can get a winter harvest.
Lettuce
Herbs- parsley, basil, thyme, oregano
Asparagus bed is in it's second year- you have to let it go to seed and sprout these huge fern like plants at the top (top right corner bed)
The cool weather plants are all being harvested now. We've eaten a good share of broccoli, and the plants are still producing. I recently picked a bunch of sweet peas and we ate them for dinner. They tasted amazing! Leah was eating them as I was shelling them, popping them in her mouth like candy.
The cabbage is growing well... except I noticed a worm is getting after them, see the hole in the top.
More broccoli!
All 3 kids love steamed broccoli. I'm so glad they take after their father and not me! I do not like it!
Onions are looking good. They are by far the easiest thing to grow. Once in the ground there is no maintenance and I haven't had issues with pests getting after them.
Leeks are doing well too
The tomatoes are putting out fruit!
Before we left for Colorado the tomato plants were not looking good at all. After comparing pictures of different diseases I figured they had early blight, so I treated them with some copper fungicide powder and prayed they would survive until I got back. Thankfully they were big, healthy and green with no more evidence of disease when I got home! YAY!
Roses are in bloom
Our grapevines are already huge. I trimmed them WAY back and they just took off when it got warm. Grapes are super easy to grow around here too. There are so many grapes on the vines already. I am so excited for more grape jelly! We are on our last jar from the jelly I made last summer.
No matter how many times I tell them not to get wet, they always do. Oh well, kids need to be kids.
And my precious garden fairy likes to go around with me and look at all of the plants and picks off the flowers. She likes to dig in the dirt and run through the sprinkler too. I look forward to teaching her how to garden when she gets older.
So there's our summer garden! Hopefully the pests and bugs do not cause me too much grief this year.











No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a comment, I LOVE them!