In high school I joined the soccer team and the only thing I was really good at was running, chasing people who had the ball, and blocking. My ball handling skills were sub-par and I always messed up big time if I went to shoot. So I played mid-fielder, also known as the run back and forth the entire game, position.
I also joined the cross country team to better my running skills for soccer. I was in phenomenal shape.
Oddly though, I despised running! During cross country practice at 6am before school started, I would be running down the sidewalk and think to myself... "If you just roll your ankle off of the curb and twist it, then you won't have to run anymore. Do it Jennifer, do it!"
I never did, but I always wanted to. I hated getting up early. I hated racing. I hated the pressure. But I did it. After high school I decided I never wanted to run again.
And I really, never ran much. In college there was not time to workout. I studied too much.
We worked out a little after college, joined a gym, played racket ball, and bought bikes that we rode for a few months.
Then I started having babies and there came an end to toned muscles, time to workout, and the ability to walk up stairs without being winded.
The last time I remember running was the day I knew I was pregnant with Paul. I was running on the treadmill at the YMCA, trying to get back into shape since Josiah had weaned and I was able to leave him for a short time. But in April, 4 years ago, I had finished my run and my back was hurting in the spot that only hurts when I am pregnant. I walked off that treadmill and did not ever go back! ha!
A few months ago I started exercising here and there, doing some exercise videos. Then a friend invited me to run a 5K with her. On a whim I said, "sure, why not?!" She too has been trying to get healthy again, she's got 4 kids so I thought it would be fun to do it together and if she could do it, so could I! We send each other encouraging text messages and have lamented about our sore muscles together.
I started running very slowly. Spending 30 minutes and varying between walking and running. The first time I ran 2 minutes, I thought I was going to die of an asthma attack. I was heaving so hard! My body was on fire after that first run/walk and I was so sore the next day. Each time got better, though, and 2 weeks ago I ran 3.1 miles (5K) without stopping! My mile pace has surprised me as well, I've been running a 9.16 minute mile! I thought for sure I'd be running 13 minute miles!
The race is in a week and a half and I am excited! It's called the Run or Dye. It's a fun run supporting local charities in our community. Throughout the run you get dyed! Four of us moms are running on a team, our team name is "Run or Die Trying" haha!
I am so glad my friend asked me to run the race with her. I did not think I would ever choose to run again. But, ironically, it's quite relaxing once I get past the first mile. It's quiet, I can think, I don't have 3 little people yelling my name, I push myself to run harder than the day before, and I feel good when I'm done.
Maybe I'll keep up running after the race... we'll see...



No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a comment, I LOVE them!