Can you freeze your lungs by deep breathing in 4 degree cold air while running for 2 minutes outside?
Please leave me a comment as to what you think! This will help solve an argument... ahem.. I mean friendly debate, Justin and I have going.
Here is the story...
Justin went to go get our cars registered and new license plates. A cold front blew in today and it's been very cold and windy. He forgot something in the car and had to run back to get it, and he was trying to hurry because the office was about to close. So, he ran, in the cold, windy, 4 degree air. Only for about 2 minutes he said. Well, when we were eating dinner he said one of the funniest statements I've ever heard.
Justin: "Yeah, I think I froze my lung."
Me: "What?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
Justin: "No, I'm being serious, I think I froze something down there, it's hard to get a deep breath."
Me: "That's called, being out of shape"
Justin: "No no no, that's not it. It's hard for me to take a real deep breath. I was running in 4 degree weather, I think it's possible I could have frozen something."
Me: "Uhhh, I don't think so. "
So the debate continues.
What do you think? Can you freeze part of your lung? (even though your internal body temperature is 98.6 degrees and he was only outside for a mere 2 minutes?? I doubt hypothermia of the lung could have set in... ha ha. Sorry, I'm still laughing about this one.)
hahaha! hilarious....i'm w/you...i don't think that's possible. :) then again, a few weekends back, we ran 10 miles in 30 something degree weather & i felt like my lungs were frozen, so who knows??? :) miss you!
ReplyDeleteYes, but you were running 10 miles and it probably took a loooong time so I am sure your lungs were cold from breathing in all of that cold air for so long. I can see that as a possibility. But not running for 2 minutes. ha ha ha!
ReplyDeleteI miss you too!
Hey Jennifer it's Kelly...your cousin lol. I got a blog here to you can check it if you want to at http://poornewmexicanartist.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete...No you Cant freeze your lung like that lol. Man I should would have loved to seen that conversation between you two in person lol it would have been hilarious
Ummm no. Not possible. Your internal body temp is so warm that I don't think you could actually freeze an internal organ in that amount of time, unless maybe you were in Antarctica or something. Though cold, South Dakota doesn't count. Now, it definitely would be a shock and maybe painful for your body to breath in that cold of air and it might take a few min for it to wear off and feel less painful to breath but I don't think anything was frozen.
ReplyDeleteJennifer,
ReplyDeleteIt's your cousin Chris Vestal. I live in Chicago now and a couple of weekes ago it snowed a ton and I had to dig my car out and it was - 10 with -34 wind chill. I didn't freeze anything but my fingers,toes and nose. I was out there for and hour and a half. We are praying for you and your family.
Chris