Tabs

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Garden Woes

I have a small garden in a flower bed in the back of the house that gets full sun all day.   I got all of the weeds out, and added some compost and manure and tilled it all together. I tilled it with my muscles and a shovel!  Fresh herbs are also a favorite of mine, so I have thyme, parsley, mint, cilantro and basil growing on my porch.  Those guys are doing good and growing like crazy! Unfortunately, my other plants are giving me a little grief.  

    

I enjoy having a garden and so far I've gotten some bell peppers and jalapeno peppers.  My green bean plants are finally growing beans, they are just still small right now.  I have 2 bell pepper plants but one seems to be a dud. It has leaves, but hasn't really grown tall and isn't producing any flowers. 


These are the green beans plants when I first planted them. They are much bigger now.  
Now the tomatoes plants..... why must they be soooo difficult??
I planted 8 tomato plants, 3 have kicked the bucket, and 2 right now are looking sick.  They have had early blight, leaf mold, crickets, and flea beetle issues! I'm not quite sure how to tackle these multitude of issues, so I've just been doing some research on the internet and doctoring them with a few things. It seems like every time I go out there, something else is attacking them!  All of the plants have tomatoes on them, but up here, they don't ripen until later in the summer.  

Does ANYONE who reads my blog have any tomato growing tips? Tips to help me now with these issues or tips for me to use for future tomato growing escapades? We really love fresh tomatoes off of the vine and I would be so sad to lose my plants.  So, if you have any tips, please leave me a comment! Thank you!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I have been away from blogging for awhile! First of all two months on sleeping????? AWESOME!!! Not so much here. Actually, not even close. But totally weaned through the night! Second of all, I love all his big words! And last, you are seriously a freak of nature that you can be so "homemakey" and pregnant and chase a toddler!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sprinkle some cyannne pepper on the ground around the plants and also on the plants. I just through it by a handfull over the pants and land where it may. By the way mother made the mushroom soup and it is the best we have every eaten. We are now making it by the pot fulls and freezing it for later time. Mother also use the same way and made cream of celery soup and has frozen it. Sending my love Ann

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, I LOVE them!